Sunday 24 February 2013

A new hobby

A short while ago I attended a retreat near Battle in East Sussex - fortunately the place had a small art room and for the first time for nearly 20 years I had a go at painting.  I started with bold acrylics which was new to me, and I found it incredibly hard to paint a landscape, so instead I attempted some random abstract splodges with a single hue to see what happened.

As things worked out, I was pleased with the outcome, even if it wasn't anything specific.


After spending a quiet evening pondering on how peaceful it was at the retreat I had a go at sketching and water colours:


It was an attempt to paint a scene with just one colour, which worked out quiet well. Unfortunately the photo of the original has skewed the image a little.

Anyhow, I re-discovered how relaxing and creative painting is, and will be continuing this as a hobby.